Thursday, August 27, 2015

Luna update...

Several people have asked about Luna Goat. Luna was our first goat, and is one of the sweetest spirits I've ever met. She had a difficult pregnancy this winter, was off her feed a lot and caused me many sleepless nights. Luckily she kidded fine, producing two healthy babies to delight us. I had the vet out to see her shortly after that, because she was losing weight at an alarming rate. She took some tests, we wormed her, we treated her with antibiotics in case she had some infection lurking. She continued to fail. For weeks I began each day thinking I'd find her dead. But she tenaciously hung on to life. I did lots of research and treated her with everything I could think of. Vitamin drenches, mineral supplements, pro-biotics to help her her digestion, special treats, special foods to tempt her appetite. She began to be a bit perkier when I began giving her a new supplement that has iron, cobalt and other wonderful things in it. The vet came back out last week, and we treated her again for internal parasites, and I began giving her daily injections of B complex vitamins. The vet said, "Inject her every day until she runs when she sees you coming with the needle." Tonight she ran a little when I came at her, but I was able to catch her so I jabbed her! She is eating well, has been more active the last couple of days, and still rules the other goats quite firmly.

She never lost her winter coat this spring, and looked scruffy and dirty compared to the other sleek, shiny,goats. All of a sudden about 3 weeks ago her coat began to fall out in huge clumps, leaving her pink skinned and pathetic looking. But it is growing back in, and you know what? I am feeling hopeful. She is terribly thin, but has a light in her eye and a determination to live that is encouraging.



This goat has brought me a lot of joy in the 4 years she has called FairWinds home. I am glad for every day that she greets me at the pasture gate. I hope there are more greetings in our future.

No comments: