Thursday, April 2, 2015

"Bad" Birds...

Those two little brown ducks I "rescued" at the livestock auction? They are trouble!



Oh, they are pretty enough, I'll grant that. They look like lovely, hand carved wooden decoys. And they are friendly and personable, too. But because they are a bit smaller than the other ducks they have discovered that they can pop right out of the fence and wander about at will.



Last year the ducks never ONCE left the fenced pasture. But the little brown ladies use their feminine wiles to lure the well behaved ducks astray. They waddle into the front yard and poke around the flower beds. They splash in the puddle at the end of the driveway and patter in a comical line down the side of the road. They scoot out of the hen yard and into the dormant vegetable garden, drilling their bills into the soil, looking for bugs and seeds and weeds and other delectable duck treats.




And whereas the other ducks mutter quiet, polite little "quacks," the new girls are shrill and strident. And loud. So loud that when I was at the neighbors house last week I could clearly hear their voices climbing upwards, "quack, Quack, QUACK, QUACK!!! How so much volume comes out of such a small package, I do not know. I do know the bad little brown ducks brighten the yard, and my life, with their antics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your ducks. They seem so entertaining! I'm trying to convince my husband that we need chickens! :)